New Comers Information

Canada has three levels of government: federal, provincial (or territorial), and municipal. The federal government and most provincial and territorial governments have websites with information specifically for newcomers. Many municipal governments also have websites with local information for newcomers. To learn more, please visit here.

Discover Canada contains information about the history of Canadahow our government workssymbols of Canada and its regions.

Settlement in a new place is a challenge to an individual or family. This is true regarding settlement in Greater Toronto Area also, even for a resourceful person. Our parish takes great pleasure in welcoming the newcomers to the church fellowship.

A Welcome Kit is prepared to provide information on some of the initial needs of a newcomer, such as obtaining Social Insurance Number (SIN) and Health card, transportation, children’s school and university education, job search and other matters of interest. Newcomers may obtain this kit from the Vicar or Secretary. We sincerely welcome you to Canada and to the fellowship of our Church.

We have created databases that provide useful information for successfully settling in GTA and newcomers may access them by clicking the following links.

First Step:
Apply for a Social Insurance Card (SIN) 
The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada, to open a Bank account, to obtain your tax credit or to have access to government programs and benefits. 
Link: or call 1-800-206-7218 (Toll-free)

How to Apply

1. In person at a Service Canada Centre OR

2. Mail in a completed application form

Service Canada

Social Insurance Registration Office

P.O. Box 7000

Bathurst, New Brunswick

E2A 4T1

Required Documents

Primary Document:

Original Primary Document according to the status in Canada

For example:

Passport + Visa Counterfoil + Confirmation of Landing


P.R. Card

Citizenship Card

Work Permit

Students on Study Permit can get a temporary SIN if they have a written job offer from an employer within the Campus.

Persons with Visitor Permit can get a temporary SIN if their purpose of visit is to perform religious duties (must be stated on the Permit)

If name requested is different from the primary document; an acceptable supporting document is required.

Note: SIN replacement requires a fee.

Processing Timeframes

1. If your application & documents are in order, you will receive your SIN in one visit & receive your card within 5 working days.

 2. Processing time will be 3 to 4 weeks if you need to apply by mail and the original documents will be returned to you.

Please contact the Committee about New Born Registration Service for learning how to: 

  • register the birth of your baby under the age of one
  • apply for your child’s birth certificate
  • apply for your child’s Social Insurance Number (SIN) 

Apply for OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) / Health Card 

You must have Ontario health insurance to use Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care funded health care services. Everyone, including babies and children, must have their own health cards. Always carry your health card with you. You should be ready to show it every time you need medical services.

NOTE: Apply for a health card as soon as you arrive. There is a 3-month waiting period from the date you arrive until you are covered. During that time, you can obtain private health insurance coverage.

Call the ministry INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 
(Toll-free in Ontario only) 
Hours of operation : 8:30am – 5:00pm

How to Apply (Adults) 

1. Go in person to your nearest Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care office. 
2. Complete a Registration for Ontario Health Coverage (form 0265-82). 
3. Provide the necessary original documents.

Required Documents (Adults) 

Whether applying for a new or replacement health card, you must bring three original documents to prove citizenship/immigration status, residency in Ontario and identity (refer to the Ontario Health Coverage Document List (form 9998E-82)).

How to register your children:  
1. If your children are 15 ½ years or younger, they will not have a photo or signature on their card. (they do not have to go with you)
2. If older than 15 ½ years, they must register in person.

1. 15 ½ years or younger
3 Original documents to prove:
– Document showing their citizenship status – must be in their name.
– Documents showing residency
– Identity (can be in the name of the parent registering them)

2. Older than 15½ years
3 Original documents to prove:
– their name showing Citizenship/ Immigration status
– Residency
– Identity

Applying for Private Health Insurance Coverage (Optional)
1. Some Community Health Centres offer health services to people who do not yet have their health card (OHIP)

 2. The Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association (CLHIA) 

3. The Canadian Life and Health Insurance Ombud Service (CLHIO) Consumer Assistance Centre

 4. Click here for a list of companies that provide individual health insurance for newcomers/visitors to Canada

 Apply for a Drivers License

 1. Bring Personal Identification – You must show proof of you legal name, date of birth (must state the day, month and year of birth) and signature. Documents must be original and valid. Photocopies and expired documents are not acceptable. Any one of the following documents:
>  Passport (Canadian or Foreign) 
>  Canadian Citizenship Card with photo 
>  Permanent Immigration Documents 
   • Permanent Resident Card (PRC) or 
   • Record of Landing (Form 1000) or 
   • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (Form IMM 5292) 
>  Temporary Immigration Documents 
   • Student Authorization (IMM 1442) 
   • Employment Authorization (IMM 1442) 
   • Visitor Record (IMM 1442) 
   • Temporary Resident’s Permit (IMM1442) 
   • Refugee Status Claim (IMM 1434) 
   • Acknowledgement of Intent to Claim Refugee Status

      (IMM 7703 with photo) 
   • Report Pursuant to the Immigration Act (IMM 1442 with photo)   

2. Visit Your Closest DriveTest Driver Examination Centre 

3. How do I prepay for my road test? (See table of licensing fees ): Effective from November 28, 2005 all road test fees must be pre-paid at the time of making an appointment. You may prepay your road test fee using a credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express) if booking an appointment over the phone or the Internet. Cash, debit card, credit card, certified cheque, traveller’s cheque or money order can be used if booking at a DriveTest Centre.

Requirements for all Out of Country driver’s license applicants: 

> All applicants must declare their driving experience on the driver’s license application form. 
>  All applicants for an Ontario driver’s license are required to; 
   • present a valid foreign driver’s licence (if it is not in English or French, 

      it is to be accompanied by a written translation from a qualified translator) 
   • pass a vision test and a written knowledge test regarding Ontario’s traffic rules 
   • pay all applicable fees 
   • Provide acceptable proof of identity. 
> Applicants are required to provide adequate proof of foreign driving experience. However, if that is not possible, the ministry will accept applicants’ declaration of their foreign driving experience on the driver’s license application for up to a maximum of 12 months experience.

Applicants who fulfill these requirements may obtain a G1 license – This policy only applies to applicants for Class G licenses.

Link: or call:
Driver and Vehicle Licensing:  1-800-387-3445
Road Test Booking:    1-888-570-6110
Driving Schools: 

Apply for Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) 

The Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18. 

Link: or call 1-800-387-1193


To get the CCTB, you must meet all the following conditions:
• You must live with the child, and the child must be under the age of 18; 
• You must be the person who is primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child; 
• You must be a resident of Canada; and 
• You or your spouse or common-law partner must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, a protected person, or a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months.

Application Process 

To apply for the CCTB, complete Form RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application or apply online on My Account by using the Apply for child benefits service. Your application must be mailed to the tax centre that serves your area. Please refer to the Tax Services Offices and Tax Centres page to find out the mailing address of the tax center that serves your area.

Processing Timeframes 

You can expect to hear from us within 80 calendar days after we receive your application. If your application is not complete, we will ask for the missing information, further delaying processing of your application.

After we process your application, we will send you a Canada Child Tax Benefit Notice. It will tell how much you will get, if any and what information we used to calculate the amount. 

Housing Assistance & related services 


An Introduction to Renting in Canada
A guide to the rental process, providing tenants and landlords with an overview of their rights and responsibilities as well as handy worksheets, sample letters and helpful hints. Provincial and territorial contacts and fact sheets are also included.

For Renters
Whether you are a first-time renter or an experienced tenant, this section will help you look for and evaluate potential accommodations and understand your rights and responsibilities. Links to useful worksheets and sample letters are also included. 

Buying a House 

GST/HST New Housing Rebate
The GST/HST New Housing Rebate program provides a rebate on part of the GST or the federal part of the HST paid on the construction or purchase of most newly constructed or substantially renovated houses used as a primary place of residence.

ecoENERGY Retrofit – Homes
The ecoENERGY Retrofit – Homes program provides non-taxable grants to homeowners and owners of rental properties who have carried out renovations that improve the energy efficiency of their existing home or property.

 ENERGY STAR Initiative
The ENERGY STAR Initiative provides information on provincial, territorial and private sector incentives and rebates to encourage consumers to purchase energy efficient products identified by the ENERGY STAR symbol.

 Mortgage Loan Insurance
The Mortgage Loan Insurance program provides insurance on loans granted by approved lenders for the purchase, construction, renovation, or refinancing of single-family homes or multiple rental housing. The program also grants a 10% refund on its mortgage loan insurance premium when a borrower buys or builds an energy-efficient home or makes energy-saving renovations to an existing home.

 Subsidized Housing

Housing Connections is the point of access to apply for rent-geared-to-income housing in Toronto. We determine eligibility and maintain a centralized waiting list for all rent-geared-to-income housing in the city.

Rent-geared-to-income housing means that tenants receive a subsidy so that their rent is equal to about 30 per cent of their income before taxes. 

• Get a Telephone Connection
• Sign up for Heat & Hydro

NOTE:  Services for Newcomers can be found at The menu option Housing will give all the required information.


• Information on Schools& Universities / Colleges
• Finding a School / School Board
• Foreign Credential Accreditation and Qualifications Assistance:
• Enrolling your child for school:
    1. Child’s birth certificate or other identification documents. Baptism certificate may be needed for Catholic schools. (If originals are in a language other than English or French, have them translated.)
    2. Confirmation of Permanent Residence form (IMM 5292) or their permanent resident card, passport 
    3. Any former school and health records. 
    4. You could also be asked for immunization records.
• Language Training: 
    LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) 
    ELT (Enhanced Language Training) Program


• Public Transport System
• Area Specific Information:
    1. Scarborough, Toronto
    2. Richmond Hill & Markhaml
    3. Buses/Train to other cities – GO Transit
    4. Buses to other cities – Greyhound 

• Trains
• Flights

Health Services
• Immunization for Children: Contact a public health clinic or family doctor or pediatrician
• Finding Doctors (General Physicians/Family Doctors) who are accepting new patients
• Finding Pediatricians/Specialists: Enquire with your family doctor and ask them for a referral
• Finding Walk-in Clinics
• Finding Hospitals in your area:

Hospital for Sick Children 
Mount Sinai Hospital 
Princess Margaret Hospital 
Saint Michael’s Hospital 
University Health Network 
Humber River Regional Hospital 
Toronto East General Hospital 
Toronto General Hospital 
Sunnybrook and Women’s College Health Science Centre 
Toronto Rehab 
St. John’s Rehabilitation Hospital 
Trillium Health Centre 
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care
Casey House
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

Credit Valley Hospital

Halton Healthcare Services
Joseph Brant Memorial Hospital

Markham Stouffville Hospital/Toronto Grace Health

North York-
North York General Hospital 
Northumberland Health Care Centre 
Orthopaedic and Arthritic Hospital

Rouge Valley Health System (includes Centenary Hospital, Ajax Hospital and Pickering Hospital):

The Royal Victoria Hospital of Barrie

The Scarborough Hospital (includes Scarborough Grace Hospital and Scarborough General Hospital):

Southlake Regional Health Centre

William Osler Health Centre

York Region-
Mackenzie Health (also called as York Central Hospital)

In case of Emergency, call 911